Bulkheads Permit Fees

Permit price may vary depending on circumstances of the project. Please call 757-728-2444 for more information and remember to bring a copy of the survey or plat with you.

You may download the Commercial Permit application (PDF) or Residential Permit application (PDF) and submit to the Development Services Center Office using the following methods:

  • Email Permits
  • Fax: 757-728-2445
  • Mail or visit us in-person: 22 Lincoln St., 3rd floor, Hampton, VA 23669

Please note: Most must be engineered plans per building code requirements.

Additional Information

Building Code requires plans designed and certified by an engineer for most bulkhead projects. Additionally, work on existing bulkheads and installation of new bulkheads requires submission of a Joint Permit Application. New state law regulating tidal wetlands requires installation of a living shoreline if it is the most suitable option. The JPA, required for any work in or near tidal/or non-tidal waters, shores, or wetlands, will be used to determine if a Wetland permit is required. If one is required, it must be obtained prior to issuance of a Building Permit, and requires a public hearing. Please contact our Wetland Board staff coordinator for guidance on what may be permitted and for more information on the process prior to designing the project. You can also find more information about what shoreline protection strategy may be most suitable at your location at the Virginia Institute of Marine Sciences Shoreline Decision Support Tool website.

Other Resources