The Hampton police Division’s Traffic Enforcement Unit is part of the Operations Branch. It is comprised of one sergeant and four officers, three of which operate police motorcycles.
The primary duty of the Traffic Enforcement Unit is the enforcement of traffic laws in order to reduce traffic collisions, their resulting injuries, and to facilitate the safe and expedient flow of vehicular and pedestrian traffic. These efforts result in safer roadways and streets, fewer fatalities, injuries, and reduces property damage. The Unit concentrates its enforcement efforts in the areas with the highest collision rates within the city. These efforts have proven to be effective in reducing the numbers of collisions in the City.
In addition to traffic enforcement, Traffic Unit members also comprise the Fatal Crash Team which is responsible for the investigation of all fatal and serious injury accidents. Additionally, the Unit also encompasses the Motor Carrier Enforcement Team who is charged with the enforcement of state and federal motor carrier laws.
Below are some additional responsibilities carried out by the Traffic Unit:
- Fatal & serious Crash Investigations
- High Impact Traffic Enforcement
- Commercial Motor Vehicle Federal Inspections
- Over weight CMV Weight enforcement
- Over length and over height CMV enforcement
- Directed and Saturation patrols
- Investigate Hit and Run Crashes
- Public Education
- Traffic Safety Initiatives
- Dignitary Motorcades and Traffic Control
More information can be located at: