Planning & Zoning Administration
Performs planning, zoning
- Administers the zoning ordinance and manages land use applications by evaluating their consistency with adopted city policies
- Provides staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Chesapeake Bay Review Committee, Hampton Youth Commission, Planning Commission, and Wetlands Board
- Provides strategic master plans, the Hampton Community Plan (PDF), and policies to guide future development
- Contributes design assistance on development projects in special districts
- Contributes environmental expertise and reviews related to regulation and enforcement of
ChesapeakeBay and wetlands protection requirements
- Coordinates with regional planning efforts
- Develops relationships with key stakeholder groups to build upon Hampton's historical strengths and assets to leverage new investment and partnerships
- Proposes amendments to codes and ordinances to comply with state law and ensures agreement with the Hampton Community Plan
- Tracks Census, demographic, and other community data measures and trends
April 3, 2019 - Find out everything you need to know about fair housing laws at a free class on April 11 from 4-7 p.m. at the Goodwill Service Center, 1911 Kilgore Ave. Read on...
March 19, 2019 - Applications are now being accepted for Curb Appeal, a matching grant program from the city's Community Development Department that helps residents make exterior improvements to their homes at half the cost. Read on...
March 5, 2019 - There is still time to tell us what you think should be included in Hampton's updated Community Plan, which includes a five-year look at immediate strategic issues and a 20-year look at broader areas of growth and development. Read on...
Feb. 13, 2019 - Celebrate International Women's Day with a free bike ride on March 9 that starts in downtown Hampton. Riders of all ages and skill levels are invited to join a trip of 5, 12 or 20 miles that begins at 9 a.m. Read on...