Planning & Zoning Administration
Performs planning, zoning and environmental functions:
- Administers the zoning ordinance and manages land use applications by evaluating their consistency with adopted city policies
- Provides staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Hampton Youth Commission, Planning Commission, and Wetlands Board
- Provides strategic master plans, the Hampton Community Plan (PDF), and policies to guide future development
- Contributes design assistance on development projects in special districts
- Contributes environmental expertise and reviews related to regulation and enforcement of Chesapeake Bay and wetlands protection requirements
- Coordinates with regional planning efforts
- Develops relationships with key stakeholder groups to build upon Hampton's historical strengths and assets to leverage new investment and partnerships
- Proposes amendments to codes and ordinances to comply with state law and ensures agreement with the Hampton Community Plan
- Tracks Census, demographic, and other community data measures and trends
Jan. 7, 2020 - Join the City of Hampton and an expert design team, including people from flood-prone New Orleans, to discuss pilot projects designed to improve Hampton's water resilience. Read on...
Nov. 5, 2019 - The Bicycle & Pedestrian Advisory Committee is looking for two new members to help advise city staff on bicycle and pedestrian-related matters. The seven-member committee also assists in implementing the goals of Bike Walk Hampton. Read on...
Sept. 24, 2019 - Gov. Ralph Northam said a series of regional town halls will be held across Virginia starting Wednesday, Sept. 25, to educate residents about the upcoming 2020 Census and provide opportunities to meet with Census job recruiters. Read on...
Sept. 17, 2019 - Are you ready to be counted? Every 10 years, the United States conducts a massive count of the nation’s population, and the results impact all of us. That’s why it’s important for Hampton resident to be accurately counted. Read on...