Planning & Zoning Administration
Performs planning, zoning and environmental functions:
- Administers the zoning ordinance and manages land use applications by evaluating their consistency with adopted city policies
- Provides staff support to the Board of Zoning Appeals, Chesapeake Bay Review Committee, Hampton Youth Commission, Planning Commission, and Wetlands Board
- Provides strategic master plans, the Hampton Community Plan, and policies to guide future development
- Contributes design assistance on development projects in special districts
- Contributes environmental expertise and reviews related to regulation and enforcement of Chesapeake Bay and wetlands protection requirements
- Coordinates with regional planning efforts
- Develops relationships with key stakeholder groups to build upon Hampton’s historical strengths and assets to leverage new investment and partnerships
- Proposes amendments to codes and ordinances to comply with state law and ensures agreement with the Hampton Community Plan
- Tracks Census, demographic, and other community data measures and trends
April 3, 2019 - Find out everything you need to know about fair housing laws at a free class on April 11 from 4-7 p.m. at the Goodwill Service Center, 1911 Kilgore Ave. Read on...
March 5, 2019 - Applications are now being accepted for Curb Appeal, a matching grant program from the city's Community Development Department that helps residents make exterior improvements to their homes at half the cost. Read on...
March 5, 2019 - There is still time to tell us what you think should be included in Hampton's updated Community Plan, which includes a five-year look at immediate strategic issues and a 20-year look at broader areas of growth and development. Read on...
Feb. 13, 2019 - Celebrate International Women's Day with a free bike ride on March 9 that starts in downtown Hampton. Riders of all ages and skill levels are invited to join a trip of 5, 12 or 20 miles that begins at 9 a.m. Read on...
Feb. 5, 2019 - Hampton is updating the city's Community Plan through the year 2040. The plan includes a 5-year look at immediate strategic issues in the city, and a 20-year look at broader areas of growth and development. Read on...
Jan. 8, 2019 - Join the Resilient Hampton team and meet with experts from New Orleans and the Netherlands to learn about and share opinions on potential projects along Newmarket Creek. Read on...
Jan. 4, 2019 - Starting Jan. 24, Hampton’s Community Development Department will offer a six-week education series designed to give citizens and community leaders a better understanding of the community development process and code enforcement. Read on...