Note on Coronavirus
SEPT. 1 UPDATE: The Hampton Treasurer’s Office is open Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. At this time we are not accepting passport applications. The DMV Select is open Monday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4 p.m., by appointment only.
QUESTIONS: Visit the coronavirus Q&A page for more helpful tips and information from the city regarding the coronavirus and COVID-19. Have more questions about coronavirus? Call the Peninsula Health Department call center from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday-Friday: 757-594-7069.
The Treasurer is a Constitutional Officer and is elected every four years as established by the Virginia Constitution. The primary responsibilities of the Treasurer are to collect and account for all tax revenues for the City of Hampton.
The Treasurer is responsible for collecting personal and business property taxes, real estate taxes, storm water fees, and other miscellaneous special assessments and taxes. Taxes are due and payable in two equal installments on June 5 and December 5. Tax bills are mailed to taxpayers the last Friday in April for tax payments due June 5 and the last Friday in October for tax payments due December 5. Taxpayers can remit payment by mail, pay online, in person, or the Treasurer’s Office outdoor drop box located at 1 Franklin Street.
In addition to collecting taxes the Treasurer collects parking fines and delinquent fines and fees such as library fines, emergency medical services fees, court fines, returned checks, and other miscellaneous invoices. The Treasurer’s Office issues animal licenses, chicken permits, and processes passport applications.
Both the Treasurer and the Commissioner of the Revenue offer "DMV Select" services for your convenience. It is our goal to provide the citizens of Hampton with professional, efficient and courteous service and we are committed to exceeding your expectations.
- Personal Property Taxes - What are personal property taxes?
- Personal Property Taxes - How are vehicles assessed?
- Personal Property Taxes - What is the tax rate(s) for personal property?
- Personal Property Taxes - When are personal property taxes due?
- Personal Property Taxes - What if I did not receive a personal property bill?
- Personal Property Taxes - What is the Personal Property Tax Relief Act (PPTRA)?
- Personal Property Taxes - What if I am an active duty military member?