Parks Master Plan Update
The City of Hampton’s Parks, Recreation, and Leisure Services Department is ready to update its master plan! This plan will be used to guide decisions for renovation, redevelopment, and future development of the City’s park infrastructure and recreational facilities. It will also be a resource to enhance recreation programming and sports tourism in the city.
- Take the Master Plan Survey now
A needs assessment phase will include components such as a physical inspection of current facilities, a facility and asset gap analysis, a look at program and service gaps, a demographic and trend analysis, an economic impact matrix, and a benchmarking analysis against other similar communities. The plan update will also include a phase for findings, visions, and financial analysis. This phase will involve compiling findings, making a matrix of key issues, holding a visioning strategies workshop, looking at present and projected fiscal resources, and looking at cost recovery and resource allocation. Following this, the plan will be drafted. Community input will be interwoven throughout all phases of the work.
The city hired GreenPlay LLC in summer 2019 to help update the plan, which was adopted in 1997 and last updated in 2001. GreenPlay LLC has worked with nearly 500 communities and has extensive municipal parks and recreation master-planning experience.
- View summary of input from August 19-20 meetings (PDF).
- View the current 2020 Parks and Recreation Master Plan (PDF).
- The city held a public kickoff meeting on Aug. 20, 2019 at the Hampton Roads Convention Center. The plan hasn’t been updated in 20 years, so residents were invited to tell us what they want to see for the future of the Parks, Recreation and Leisure Services Department.
- Additional public meetings are anticipated in December 2019 and January 2020. The process will take approximately one year and is intended to be brought forward for City Council adoption in August 2020.