Every person n Hampton who is not counted in the Census, the city may lose out on roughly $2000, per year, for the next 10 years. That’s why it’s important that every Hampton resident is accurately counted in 2020.
Every 10 years, the United States conducts a massive count of the nation’s population. Mandated by the U.S. Constitution, the Census directly impacts all of us at the local, state and federal level.
Census results determine how much federal money is allocated for Medicaid, highway planning and construction, Head Start, and much, much more. In 2016, Virginia received more than $17 billion through 55 federal programs — an amount based on the 2010 Census count.
Congressional seats are also apportioned based on a state’s population. Based on the 2010 Census, Virginia now has 11 seats in the U.S. House of Representatives. An accurate reflection of the state’s population ensures we are adequately represented.
Fighting Rumors: the Census Bureau has created a webpage to address rumors and confusion about the 2020 Census.
Survey vs. Census: While Hampton and the rest of the country prepare for the 2020 Census, the American Community Survey is already underway. Don’t confuse the two. You can learn more about the survey online. Not sure you have been contacted by a verified Census worker? Check this website. Still uncertain? Call the Census’ regional office at 1-800-262-4236.
- April 1, 2019 — City Council proclaimed this day Census Awareness Day
- March 2020 — Census information mailed to households and internet Census self-response opens
- April 1, 2020 — Census Day! Respondents are able to respond via the internet, telephone, or paper questionnaire.
- April 12-19, 2020 — Follow-up letter and paper questionnaires sent to those who have not responded
- July 2020 — Internet Census self-response closes
- Sept. 30, 2020 — All data collection closes
Complete Count Committee
To make sure Hampton is completely and correctly counted in the 2020 Census, the City Council established a local Complete Count Committee. Learn more about the committee.