Frequently asked questions


Q. What should I do if I’ve lost my vehicle keys or locked them in the vehicle?

A. Each department should have a spare key for their vehicles. If you need the spare key from Fleet Services, we are available from 7:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached at (757) 726-2958. In the case of an emergency on the weekend or after hours, please call 311 or (757) 727-8311 and they will connect you with the on-call technician for assistance.

Q. Who do I talk to about tune-ups, oil changes and tows?

A. Fleet Services (email can answer any questions regarding the maintenance and care of your vehicle.

Q. If I need repairs on the weekend, what do I do?

A. If an emergency arises after hours, please call 311 or 757-727-8311 and they will connect you with the on-call technician to provide you with assistance.

Q. Who will change my flat tire?

A. Fleet personnel are available from 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached at 757-726-2958. In the case of weekend and after hours, please call 311 or 757-727-8311 and it will provide you with the emergency on-call technician for assistance.

Q. What to do when I get into an accident?

A. In the event of an accident:

  • Immediately check to ensure there are no injuries. If there are injuries, please call 911 immediately.
  • DO NOT leave the scene. If necessary, move the vehicles to a safe location until help arrives.
  • Contact your supervisor! Your supervisor should do the following:
    • If there are no injuries, your supervisor or department’s dispatch will call Hampton Police Division’s non-emergency line at 757-727-6611 to report a minor accident.
    • Your supervisor will also notify Risk Management using the following numbers: Monday-Friday from 8 a.m.-4:30 p.m., 757-727-6617.  After hours or if someone cannot be reached in Risk Management, your supervisor should call 757-870-3472.
  • All accidents involving a city vehicle must be reported to Fleet Services  at with the following information:
    • Equipment ID
    • Accident Date and Time
    • Any details as to the cause of the accident.
  • DO NOT admit fault or accept liability, and please do not discuss details of the accident with anyone but city personnel, your supervisor, and the investigating officer(s).

Fuel Card Questions 

Q. What is a PIN number?

A. A PIN number is a security measure that is required at the off-site fueling locations. If you do not know the PIN number, contact Fleet Services at 757-726-2958.

Q. How do I get reimbursed when I used my personal credit card or cash to purchase fuel?

A. Fleet Services will not provide reimbursement to your department/agency.  Please contact the person within your department who handles reimbursements.

Q. What if my fuel FOB is not working?

A. Please call Fleet Services from the Fuel Island, or stop in. Fleet personnel are available from 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached at 757-726-2958. On weekends and after hours, please call 311 and it will provide you with the on-call technician for assistance.

Q. The city pumps are down, where are the off-site fueling locations?

A. The city uses Quarles when the fuel pumps are down either for maintenance or to conserve the city’s fuel supply during a weather event.  The locations:

1. 1802 W. Pembroke Ave. (Pembroke Avenue and Powhatan Parkway) You turn in to the Quarles Site from Powhatan Parkway)

2. 220 Aberdeen Rd. (Aberdeen Road & 50th St) Located behind Wendy’s, you turn in from 50th Street.

Proper Use of City Vehicles 

Q. What happens if I am injured while driving a city vehicle?

A. If you are injured while driving a city vehicle, report this to your supervisor as a work-related injury, and follow the procedures for reporting an accident as described in the "What to do when I get into an accident?" section of this document.

Q. Who is allowed to drive or ride in a city vehicle?

A. City policy says that only city employees are authorized to drive city vehicles. Non-city employees should only ride in city vehicles if it is required to conduct city business. (Examples: patient in an ambulance, citizens riding in Parks vehicles for a trip, Social Services transporting clients.)

Q. When can I allow my spouse, kids, or pets to ride in or drive a city vehicle?

A. The policy states that a vehicle shall be used only for the conduct of official city business and that vehicles cannot be used for personal reasons, reasons unrelated to the conduct of city business, or pets.

Q. If a non-city employee is attending the same meeting that I am for city business; can they ride in the vehicle with me?

A. Only if it is required as part of city business, otherwise you both need to drive separately.

Q. I am picking up a city vehicle tonight for a trip tomorrow. Is this okay to do?

A. Yes, it is okay to pick up the vehicle the night before a trip, as long as you only use it for city business per the Fleet Services policy and have your department’s approval.

Q. I received a speeding ticket while driving a city vehicle, am I responsible for paying the ticket?

A. Yes. Any employee in possession of a city vehicle is responsible for any citation given to them. This includes, but is not limited to, citations for parking violations, speeding, or not wearing a seat belt.

Q. Can a temporary employee drive a city vehicle?

A. Yes provided they meet the criteria for vehicle use as established by City of Hampton’s Risk Management policy.


Q. How does the city insure its vehicles? What do I show to the police officer if I am pulled over?

A. The city self-insures city vehicles for liability under the terms of the Government Immunity Act. Self-insurance certificates are not located in the vehicle but are governed through Risk Management.

Motor pool

Q. How do I get general information about Motor Pool?

A. Go to the City of Hampton’s Fleet Services homepage and click the link for Motor Pool to see related information.

Q. Who is eligible for using a motor pool vehicle?

A. City employees conducting city business with department approval can use the Motor Pool. They must meet all of the city’s requirements for driving a city vehicle.

Q. What type of vehicles are available in Motor Pool?

A. Our current selection of motor pool vehicles include sedans, hybrid sedans, and minivans.

Q. What are the motor pool vehicle fees?

A. Current Motor Pool user fees can be found in Fleet’s InfoCenter when you make your reservations. Motor Pool fees are priced under local car rental agencies.

Q. How do I make a reservation?

A. Employees can go to the Fleet’s InfoCenter to make their Motor Pool Reservations. Instructions for how to make a Motor Pool reservation can be found online.

Q. How do I fuel a Motor Pool vehicle?

A. Each Motor Pool vehicle has a fuel fob on the key ring or the Wireless Fueling System installed for you to fuel the Motor Pool vehicle at the City’s Fuel Station. The city’s fuel station is located at Fleet Services, where you picked up the vehicle. Everyone is responsible for fueling and topping off the fuel tank before returning the vehicle. Customers will be charged for gas plus a service fee for vehicles not topped off completely.

Q. What shall I do in the event my motor pool vehicle breaks down?

A. Fleet personnel are available from 7 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday and can be reached at 757-726-2958 or On the weekend and after hours, please call 311 or 757-727-8311 and they will connect you with the emergency on-call technician for assistance. If you break down outside the City of Hampton, please call Fleet Services and we will work to get you back on the road.

Q. What if I am running late and return the vehicle after my scheduled return time?

 A. Please return your vehicle as safely and quickly as possible. You may incur additional fees, from a ½ to a full day rental.  

Q. What if the vehicle class I want is not available?

A. If the Motor Pool doesn’t have the specific vehicle needed by the customer, Fleet Services will secure the vehicle needed from a local approved rental business, and will manage the delivery to Fleet Services at 413 N. Armistead Ave. All contractual agreements and billing shall be processed by Fleet Services. Please contact Fleet Services for assistance at 757-726-2958 or email

Q. Can I rent a Motor Pool vehicle for personal use?

A. No, only city employees conducting official city business with department approval may use the Motor Pool.

Q. What are the Motor Pool vehicle locations?

A. All Motor Pool vehicles are located at 413 N. Armstead Ave. Rental from outside agencies will be brought to Fleet Services to be picked up.

Vehicle Replacement 

Q. When my vehicle is denied repair or is totaled in an accident, and I need a replacement vehicle, will you replace it with a like-vehicle?

A. Fleet Services will work with your department to determine the type of vehicle that best fits the needs of your department.