Chief of Police Recruitment Portal
The City of Hampton (population 137,436), located at the mouth of the Chesapeake Bay, is in the heart of the Hampton Roads/Tidewater region and the center of the East Coast. Established in 1610, Hampton is one of America's oldest cities and is also one of the fastest-growing cities in the region. Rich in history with small-town charm, Hampton has been recognized as one of the best places to live, as well as a national model for youth development and civic engagement. A waterfront city with a mild climate, Hampton has one of the lowest crime rates in the region.
The City of Hampton is seeking police professionals for the position of Chief of the Hampton Police Department.
The Police Department has a complement of 376 personnel, with the Chief overseeing a sworn staff of 3 Assistant Chiefs, 5 Captains, 12 Lieutenants, 37 Sergeants, 50 Corporals, and 163 Officers. Candidates meeting the position criteria with a history of exceptional leadership, capable of partnering with the community to move the Police Department to new levels of success, are encouraged to apply. The Hampton Police Department enjoys a history of community support and working openly in partnerships with the community to foster an atmosphere of cooperation and trust. The position is being filled pending the retirement of the current Police Chief following a 50+ year career in law enforcement.
Requirements for Chief of Police candidates:
- Proven leader who recognizes the significance of working collaboratively
- Proven track record of success in a diverse community; understands, communicates, and effectively interacts with people across cultures
- An exceptional communicator, able to thoughtfully represent the interests of the department and the City, with a high level of community presence and responsiveness
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience as a Police Chief or a high-level commander with progressive supervisory/management experience and a range of operational and administrative experience commensurate to the duties and responsibilities of a Chief of Police in a similarly-sized jurisdiction
- Graduate of a college or university approved by a regionally or nationally recognized accrediting agency, with a bachelor's degree in Police Science, Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Psychology, Sociology, or a related field; relevant master’s degree preferred
- Executive management training, or completion of equivalent training as a graduate of the FBI National Academy or Senior Management Institute through the Police Executive Research Foundation, preferred
- Previous experience working within a Council-Manager form of government preferred
- Must currently possess or obtain Virginia State Certification as a Law Enforcement Officer issued by the Virginia Division of Criminal Justice Services, within one (1) year of employment and maintain that status for the duration of service
- Must reside within the City of Hampton within one (1) year of employment and maintain such residency for the duration of service in the position
Candidates must possess well-developed communication and public presentation skills, as well as the utmost integrity, and be committed to the long-range success of the Hampton Police Department and the larger community. The Police Chief is appointed by and reports to the City Manager. The salary for the position is based on qualifications. The City offers an excellent benefits package.
The position is open until filled, with the review of initial applications beginning with those received on or before February 15, 2021. Submit résumé, cover letter, and contact information for 5 professional references to Dele Lowman Smith or Paul Harlow at www.GovHRjob.com. Electronic submissions are required. Telephone inquiries: (847) 380-3240.
- Press Releases
- Video links
- https://hamptonvapolice.org/federal-jury-convicts-members-of-36th-street-bang-squad-on-racketeering-related-murders-and-9a05343c7441, https://hamptonvapolice.org/hampton-police-division-to-host-ministers-police-academy-7fb4c9b721b4