Office of the Assessor of Real Estate
The establishment of the Office of the Assessor of Real Estate was enabled in 1964 by Section 37-16 of the Municipal Code of Hampton. Today, the Office of the Assessor of Real Estate is a complete team of real estate appraisers, information and technology specialists, and administrative specialists led by the City Assessor. The functions and responsibilities of this team include:
- Assessing the value of all real estate in the City of Hampton as of January 1 (General Reassessment).
- Making supplemental assessments for new construction, additions and improvements completed after July 1.
- Providing for review of assessments for equalization and fair market value (Office Review, Board of Review and appeals to Circuit Court), and providing administrative support to the Board of Review.
- Preparing the Land Book, and providing real estate assessments and property information.
- Administering applications for tax exemptions, tax abatements, the rehabilitation tax credit program and land use assessments, as well as conducting damage assessment related to natural disasters and assisting in the administration of the City's high value housing initiative.
Customers of the Office of the Assessor of Real Estate include the citizens and property owners of Hampton, the real estate professionals of Hampton Roads, as well as numerous City Departments including the City Manager's Office,Office of Budget and Management Analysis, City Attorney's Office, Department of Economic Development, Finance Department, Community Development Department and Treasurer's Office.