Staff Support Technician
Description of Position
Staff Support Technicians perform a wide variety of complex clerical work in one or all of the areas detailed in this section requiring specialized knowledge, skills and abilities including typing and computer skills.
You would perform duties under the general supervision of civilian and police supervisors. You must be able to maintain confidentiality of information because duties are performed in a top security area. This is a non-exempt position.
Any acceptable combination of experience and education, which qualifies the applicant for this particular position, may be considered for the more specific requirements outlined below. The applicant must successfully complete a Police Division background investigation to include a polygraph examination. Other qualifications include:
- Ability to demonstrate keyboarding skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships with others and to deal effectively and courteously with the public
- Ability to follow complex oral and written instructions
- Ability to learn complex computer programs
- Ability to maintain records and prepare reports
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with laws, ordinances, regulations and established policies
- Ability to obtain and maintain Virginia Crime Information Network / National Crime Information Center (NCIC / VCIN) certifications
- Considerable clerical / computer experience preferred
- Effective oral and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of business arithmetic and English
- Graduation from high school or successful completion of the GED
- Possess basic computer knowledge of windows programs
- Thorough knowledge of office terminology, procedures and equipment
For More Information
For more information, email us or call the the Hampton Police Division Recruiting and Personnel Unit at 757-727-6586.