Roles & Responsibilities
Additional job functions for a Public Safety Telecommunications Specialist include:
- Maintain wreckers' lists and use the emergency listings in Computer Aided Dispatch System (CAD) of the businesses throughout the city to respond to emergency calls after regular business hours.
- Notify the telephone company, Virginia Power, and other public utility agencies of information relative to interruption of services to the public.
- Maintain a variety of logs and records as assigned.
- Make inquiries for data from the computer through the use of CAD. Inspect and update data from field information. Review computer output and verify information. Enter predetermined instructions into computer terminal to begin, resume and close operations. Review all entries for accuracy.
- Monitor the exact location and status of all police field units in designated districts of the City of Hampton.
- Maintain records of all field activity and uses CAD and 800 megahertz radio system to dispatch field units to a complaint for investigation. Relay to officers on duty all pertinent information originating in Hampton and surrounding jurisdictions. Use correct radio terminology. Record information transmitted by police patrol officers. Record the disposition of all assigned complaints.
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
- Receive and dispatch Public Works emergency calls after hours as needed.
- Receive incoming emergency medical calls and respond calmly to potentially hysterical callers. Follows protocol in the delivery of information to assist the caller in stabilization of the patient. Incoming calls can range from extreme critical to minimal involvement.
- Respond calmly and tactfully to callers on Emergency 911 and non-emergency information lines. Obtain complete and accurate information including names, addresses, nature of complaint, type of emergency and all other necessary information. Enter the information into the CAD and use desktop Dictaphone recorder to clarify information as needed.
- Respond to calls from citizens on non-emergency information lines, and answer questions or transfers call to communication supervisor when the call becomes questionable or too complex.
- Use CAD and the 800 megahertz system to dispatch fire units and emergency medical services of complaints for investigation. Monitor the responding fire units and/or emergency medical services, maintaining constant radio contact. Record all field activity using CAD.
- Use CAD for street indexing and mapping. Using the Telephone Device for the Deaf (TDD) as needed.
- Use CAD to access information through Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV), Virginia Crime Information Network / National Crime Information Center (VCIN / NCIC) and networks as requested by patrol units. Run inquiries such as license checks, stolen vehicle checks, warrant checks, surveillance checks, and social security and operator's license checks. Notify units of the results of computer checks.
For More Information
For more information, email us or call the Hampton Police Division Recruiting and Personnel Unit at 757-727-6586.