Robbery Prevention Tips
Be Alert When Out And About
- Don't go out alone (after dark).
- Be careful how you carry your purse and wallet.
- Keep car doors locked when traveling, whether you are a passenger or driver.
- If someone makes you feel uneasy, trust your instincts and leave.
- If you are confronted by a robber, give them what they ask for. Do not attempt to fight the assailant.
- When coming home late at night, leave as many outside lights on as possible.
When Approaching Your Vehicle
- Check the area of the parking lot for people hanging around.
- Be alert in parking lots and parking garages, park near an entrance.
- At night, park in well-lighted areas.
- Secure all packages, clothing, etc.
- Don't park near concealment.
- Keep your eyes open and pay attention!! You can check your phone and look through your bags later.
- Have the keys in your hand.
- Be ready to defend yourself.
- Look under and around your car as you approach it.
- Ensure the trunk and doors are still locked.
- Check the back seat before unlocking the door.
Using an ATM
- Use ATMs in well lighted, populated areas. Store and bank ATMs during the day are best. Scan the area before using the ATM. If you see a person loitering in the area for no apparent reason, go to another location.
- If you see something strange during your transaction, push cancel, take your card, and leave the area.
- After the transaction, be alert. You'll have cash in hand making you a possible target. Scan the area. Leave immediately. If you suspect danger, promptly enter the nearest store or building.